M-1 Visa

(Non-academic & Vocational)

M-1 visas allow the holder to attend a recognized non-academic or vocational educational institution in the United States. The M visa is required, for example, to attend a flight school in the USA. If you are interested in continuing your education or training in the United States, we will be happy to assist you with your M-1 visa application!



What are M-1 visas?

M-1 visas entitle the holder to stay in the USA as part of a non-academic study program, for example, when not studying at a college or university. If you are interested in continuing education or evening classes, you will need an M-1 visa.

Note: M-1 visas do not entitle the holder to participate in language courses. An F-1 visa could possibly be considered for this purpose.


Requirements for M-1 Visa

The application for an M-1 visa is subject to several conditions.

  1. SEVIS registration of the educational institutionSEVIS stands for Student and Exchange Visitor Information System. SEVIS is an online database provided by the U.S. government that allows the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and the U.S. Department of State to view the data of all M-1 visa holders who are in the United States.
  2. Issuance of the I-20 formThe SEVIS registration is required to issue the I-20 form, which must be presented at the U.S. consulate for M-1 visa applications. Please note that not all schools are authorized to issue the I-20 form. Therefore, it is necessary to inquire in advance whether the educational institution in question has a SEVIS registration. This can be found on the official website of the U.S. authorities.
  3. fundingAnother condition that must be met by the M-1 applicant is to secure the financing of education and living costs through own resources or through scholarships.
  4. Proof of intention to returnThe applicant must also prove that he / she has a permanent residence in his / her home country and, if necessary, provide further proof of intention to return.

If you are unsure whether you can apply for the M-1 visa, get an assessment from our visa experts. Contact us now!

Bild von einer M-1 Visa Inhaberin

Apply for M-1 Visa

  1. Timely applicationApplicants must usually apply in person for an interview at one of the responsible U.S. consulates. Applications for M-1 visas can be submitted a maximum of 120 days before the start of the training.
    Waiting times for an interview appointment at the consulate depend on the season and the consulate itself.
    In addition to the general application documents, documents relating to the educational institution, permanent residence in the home country and other evidence of the intention to return after the end of the programme should be submitted. In addition, proof of financial resources for the stay in the USA must be provided. The application is usually made at the U.S. consulate in the country where the applicant lives.

  2. Personal Interview AppointmentApplicants usually have to appear in person at an interview appointment at one of the responsible US consulates. This will include
    - personal data
    - details of the educational institution and
    - other evidence of the applicant's intention to return after the end of the programme
    - evidence of financial resources for the stay in the USA.

  3. Approval of the ApplicationApplicants of M-1 visas are usually informed on the day of the interview whether the visa is approved. Once approved, the passport with the M-1 visa is usually delivered to the applicant after three to ten days;

If you have any further questions regarding the M-1 visa application, please contact us - we will be happy to advise you individually!

Contact us now

responsiveimage responsiveset="ResponsiveLandscape" id="3586" class="leftAlone responsiveimage"]assets/Visa-USA/_resampled/FillWyI2MDAiLCI0MDAiXQ/m-1-visa-usa.jpg[/responsiveimage]

How long are M-1 visas valid?

The M-1 visa is usually issued for one year. The local residence status in the USA depends on the duration of the further education or training as noted in the I-20 form. If the training is longer than the duration of the course, an extension of up to 12 months can be applied for at the respective educational institution. It is also possible to enter the United States on the M-1 visa 30 days before the start of the training and to remain in the United States for a maximum of 30 days after completion of the training.

M-Visa for family members

Spouses and unmarried children under 21 years of age may be issued a derived M-2 visa for the same period as the principal applicant. If the children reach the U.S. age of majority, they must change their non-immigrant status or leave the country. Family members are not permitted to work. Applying for a general work permit (Employment Authorization Document, EAD) is therefore not possible under the M-2 status. However, M-2 visa holders may attend a public/private educational institution (kindergarten to high school).
If a higher educational institution (e.g. university) is to be attended, a separate F-1 visa must be applied for.

Our services for M-1 Visa

  • Individual examination of your requirements
  • Location-independent support
  • Support in compiling all necessary documents
  • Review and correction of your documents
  • Finding an appointment and preparation for the interview at the US Consulate
  • Preparing your entry with the M-1 visa


Frequently asked questions about the M-1 visa for the United States

Darf man mit M-1 Visa an einer Hochschule oder Universität studieren?

Nein. M-1 Visa berechtigen lediglich zum Besuch einer nicht rein-akademischen Bildungseinrichtung. Studienprogramme wie berufsbegleitende Weiterbildungen oder Abendkurse zählen zum Beispiel zu nicht-akademischen Programmen.

Kann ich mein M-1 Visum verlängern?

Ja eine Verlängerung bzw. Neubeantragung des M-1 Visums ist möglich. Dauert die Ausbildung länger als vorgesehen, kann eine Verlängerung von bis zu 12 Monaten bei der jeweiligen Bildungseinrichtung beantragt werden.

Wie bekomme ich ein I-20 Formular?

Das I-20 Formular wird von der jeweiligen Bildungseinrichtung ausgestellt. Vroaussetzung: Die US-Bildungseinrichtung muss SEVIS-registriert sein. Ob diese vorliegt, können Sie über das School Search Tool der US-Behörden herausfinden.
Achtung: Bei dem I-20 handelt es sich nicht um ein Antragsformular, das Sie im Internet herunterladen können.